To help you keep abreast of the latest news on the UKWAS review and revision process, updates will be posted here.
September 25th, 2023
- FSC UK has advised that it has received FSC International’s assessment of the UKWAS 5 pre-approval Draft and is assessing its implications. The UKWAS Revision Working Group will meet on 20-21 November to consider the issues raised.
August 1st, 2023
- FSC UK has advised that FSC International has brought forward commencement of the FSC approval process. The assessment of the UKWAS 5 pre-approval draft is now underway.
June 30th, 2023
- PEFC UK has advised that the UKWAS 5 pre-approval draft has been endorsed by PEFC International. As is usual, a small number of Minor Non-conformities have been identified and these will be addressed by the UKWAS working group.
- FSC UK advises that FSC International anticipates beginning its assessment of UKWAS 5 in October although this is not a confirmed date. The UKWAS steering group and FSC UK are pressing FSC International to prioritise this work which is far behind schedule.
December 7th, 2022
- The international approval / endorsement process for UKWAS 5 being taken forward by FSC UK and PEFC UK is well underway. The detailed assessment of the UKWAS 5 pre-approval draft is being undertaken by the schemes’ international bodies.
- The target date for UKWAS 5 was set at 1st April 2023 as it is the fifth anniversary of the effective date for UKWAS 4.
- A meeting was held with the two schemes to review progress and to consider how best to achieve a synchronised timeline for the launch of UKWAS 5.
- Whilst it is impossible to predict with certainty when the PEFC endorsement and FSC approval processes will be completed, the target effective date of 1st April 2023 is almost certainly not going to be achieved by both schemes.
- Scheme approval / endorsement is generally subject to some conditions in which case, as in past revisions, work might be needed to ensure that UKWAS 5 text is aligned with the requirements of both schemes.
- The best estimate is for a revised UKWAS 5 effective date to be in Quarter 3 or Quarter 4 of 2023 and the aim is for both schemes to have completed their processes before UKWAS 5 is launched.
- UKWAS will continue to work closely with FSC UK and PEFC UK to monitor progress and updates will be provided when there is greater clarity on the timeline. Meanwhile, UKWAS 4 will remain current until the launch of UKWAS 5.
July 29th, 2022
- The Revision Working Group has completed its work on preparing a Pre-approval Draft and this has been approved at national level by the UKWAS Steering Group
- Documentation has been finalised and the Pre-approval Draft and Consultation Report submitted to FSC UK and PEFC UK
- PEFC UK and FSC UK are now preparing their bespoke documentation for submission to their respective international schemes who will check that all their scheme requirements have been met
- It is usual for some conditions to be attached to any scheme endorsement / approval and these might require some changes to be made to the pre-approval draft text
- Following international approval, the aim is for UKWAS 5 to be effective from 1st April 2023
- The finalised documentation is available on this page.
March 14th, 2022
- The consultation on the UKWAS 5 Second Revision Draft has concluded with 51 responses received
- The Revision Working Group is very grateful for all the input received
- The Working Group has now begun considering the responses and preparing a Pre-approval Draft.
October 19th, 2021
- A webinar on the UKWAS Second Revision Draft will be held on November 3rd.
- The webinar will be on Zoom from 14.00 to 15.30.
- Further information is available here.
- Please book your place in advance at https://rebrand.ly/UKWASConsult.
October 1st, 2021
- A 60-day consultation on the UKWAS 5 Second Revision Draft (See News Release) has opened
- A Consultation Paper and consultation template together with copies of the Second Revision Draft and Consultation Report are available here.
- Stakeholders should make their input by November 30th.
June 1st, 2021
- A 60-day consultation on the UKWAS 5 Initial Revision Draft (See News Release) has closed
- 38 responses were received from 35 organisations and individuals
- The UKWAS Revision Working Group is now considering the stakeholder responses received
- A Second Revision Draft will be released for a 60-day consultation on October 1st, 2021.
March 1st, 2021 (further information here )
- Consultation opens on UKWAS 5 Initial Revision Draft (See News Release)